Wow, I haven’t blogged in two weeks, I really suck at this oops.
My second semester for this program is starting to wrap up (so many deadlines!), so here’s what been going on.
Substantive & Stylistic Editing
Like I mentioned last time, we have moved past substantive editing and have begun stylistic editing. Stylistic editing is about individual words and sentences and how it all fits together in the paragraph. It’s focused on flow, language, and clarity. It’s considered to be the hardest level of editing since you’re messing directly with the author’s words, versus substantive or copy editing.
Regarding the manuscript we’ve been working with, we got back our editorial evaluations, which were 5-6 page reports to our fake publisher outlining the manuscript’s real substantive issues. Next, we’ll be writing a letter to the author
(well, not really), outlining the stylistic and substantive issues, and we also need to complete a stylistic edit of one manuscript chapter. I don’t feel super confident in stylistic editing yet, but I’m hoping for the best!
We also have another assignment, where we needed to act like acquisition editors (usually the same person as the substantive editor in-house) and “acquire” a book. We had to make it up, so I “acquired” the manuscript I am currently working on LOL. We’re going to have to “pitch” the book idea to the rest of our class at the end of the semester.
We’ve been learning a lot about pre-press, which is all the work that goes into a book before it’s actually printed, such as checking the proofs, adjusting colour, etc. We also learned about varieties of paper, different kinds of presses, and lithography. It’s not the most riveting stuff, personally.
I also just submitted the class’ second assignment, which involved checking fourth pages against third pages. Once a manuscript has been copyedited, a finalized version of it—looking as it will when published, with proper formatting, photos, etc.—is circulated to be proofread and edited as necessary by the copyeditor, proofreader, and author. This is called the first pages. If many corrections are made to the first pages, a second pages will be created, and so forth. Each time, the typesetter is responsible for keying the new changes into the manuscript. So we had to check the fourth pages of a book that the typesetter “fixed” based on the edits the author made to the third pages, ensuring that the author’s edits were inputted correctly.
This was also the longest explanation ever but I hope it made sense. Overall, I thought it was a really straightforward assignment, though the book was on BUGS (and had very detailed, close-up photos) so *shudder*
The latest focus has been on organizing good author events and creating ideal partnerships to promote a book and author to a wider audience.
This is probably the class I’m least worried about currently. I have one more assignment to do, which is kind of cumulative. I need to basically redo my first two assignments (pitching a book to a radio producer/newspaper editor, and creating a one-day author tour in Toronto) for an entirely new book. I previously chose Jodi Picoult’s Small Great Things, and now I’m doing Heather Morris’ The Tattooist of Auschwitz. I’m looking forward to it!
Only four more weeks until the semester is over! I’m real excited to be done soon LOL.